6/21/2008

Riley the Inventor

Riley wanted to make some inventions the other day so we got out a bunch of junk-a-doodle stuff to see what we could come up with. He asked me if I had any ideas and I suggested he make a giraffe out of the supplies we had. He turned to me very seriously and said, “I don’t want to make a giraffe Mommy. I want to INVENT something the world needs.” Wow, deep thoughts for such a little kid!

So, we got a notebook that he could write invention ideas in and I said we’d go to BN and look for some books on how to do inventions in a couple of days. We didn’t find what I was hoping to find there…. Maybe such a book doesn’t exist… But we did find this cool set that teaches kids how to build basic electrical circuits and use different switches to make fans and bulbs go on. The book was very basic – but Riley learned enough to CREATE HIS FIRST INVENTION on his own! He took what he learned to create an invention where you have to flip the switch on to allow the electricity through so to the push button will work to make the bulb light up. Pretty creative! Now he wants to build a crane – I guess more research is in order… Maybe an Erector set, maybe Radio Shack?? If you’ve got any ideas for kids invention stuff send them our way!

1 comment:

cajoby said...

I think with the erector set & the electrical set, he'll finally be able to build that sock mating machine for you! :)