9/18/2008

Riley's Plan...

My cousin, Abi, and her three kids have been visiting us and the last few nights they have stayed up late playing Wii games in the living room. Riley is always bummed when we make him go to bed instead of letting him stay up and play with his cousins ("the kids" as I call them).

All evening tonight Riley kept asking John and I if we were going to work downstairs tonight or if we were going to work way upstairs in the office. He kept suggesting we work up in the office saying it would be so fun if we BOTH worked up there together. The closer we got to bedtime the more he asked us where we were going to work and pushed the idea of upstairs... Finally I asked him WHY he was so concerned where I worked and he said no reason. This went on and on and finally I told him he'd better tell me why he was so insistent about it or I definitely would not work upstairs. At this point the overtired little guy burst into tears and told me he couldn't tell me but I was ruining his plan. I softened my tone a little and asked what the plan was. He sniffled out that he couldn't tell me. So I said I promised he wouldn't get in trouble but he needed to tell me what this plan he was referring to was. So he finally broke and told me that they had made a plan so he would sneak out of bed once John and I were upstairs working and he could play Wii with the kids. (= It was so funny and sweet, and reminded me so much of me and my cousins sneaking up at night when we were little that I told him he could stay up a little late and play Wii with "the kids." He had a good time and is now sound asleep - good thing I let him stay up because I'm sure he wouldn't have woken up to sneak downstairs. (=

Kids... aren't they cute! I just wish we had cousins (I guess technically second cousins) closer so he could scheme with them some more. In a few years Maddie will be old enough to scheme with though - and then LOOK OUT! (=

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that by the time Maddie is old enough for she and her cousins to make plans like this, Riley and Cabot will definitely come up with some great schemes and have quite the influence over her!:)
-Aunt Molly